Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Devotional 12-6-16

Finding the Words

Luke 1:46b-55 is referred to at The Magnificat, Mary’s song of praise upon learning her role in God’s advent into the world. Imagine a young peasant girl, pregnant and unmarried, giving birth to God. At first, she asks incredulously, “How can this happen? I am not married!” (Luke 1:34). After her historic function is confirmed by another humble and expectant mother, Elizabeth, Mary breaks forth into her eloquent song.

As I read the beautiful and poetic verse, I find I can often be too practical. Did Mary really come up with these words spontaneously? Or does Luke put them in her mouth?

Upon further review, the idea of Mary impulsively singing her hymn of praise is not beyond comprehension. She searched the depth of her heart and soul for the words that could be the proper response to God’s calling her into service. She found the words in an ancient hymn from the Scripture, words that were likely etched in her heart.

The Hebrew Bible tells the story of Samuel and his mother, Hannah. Hannah’s childlessness was the cause of her torment by other women. When God answered Hannah’s fervent prayers for a child, Hannah responded with a song that is recorded in 1 Samuel 2. Mary’s song parallels Hannah’s, but I’m not suggesting plagiarism. Rather, Mary’s heartfelt response came from the Scripture that was inscribed on her soul.

One of the things I love about Methodism is that we sing our theology. As a “cradle Methodist,” the Wesleyan hymns as well as other favorites from the official hymnal and other songbooks, including the old Cokesbury brown hymn book, are embedded deep within me. When I don’t have the words for praise, or the expression of lament, a hymn text will come to me. I love the texts. I read and study them. Sometimes during a sermon, I thumb through the hymnal. The songs and hymns of Sunday school, bible school, worship, Wednesday night hymn sings, picnics and other gatherings became the language of my soul. Hymns for the Use of Methodists, which John Wesley published in 1780, distilled his spirituality and theology to such an extent that it was called “the grandest instrument of popular religious culture that Christendom has ever produced.” The Wesley brothers incorporated hymns into their worship services to “implant Methodist teaching in the minds and memories of the people.”

It worked for me! When I lack the words, a hymn text rises up in my memory as a gift. And so it is not unreasonable to think that when Mary was bursting with joy, looking for the right words to offer praise to God, she found them within herself in the Song of Hannah.

Rev. Jeff Taylor

No comments: