Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Devotional 12-8-15

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
John 14:27

These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
John 15:11

Recently I went to the health Department to get a flu shot. Of course, I would pick a time when half of Huntington also decided to go to the Health Department. The room was full of people waiting.............

Most every chair was taken. People were looking at their phones or at a TV which shows health-related videos, some were half asleep and some were just waiting........

The nurse announced a number and a man with a young boy went back. The boy said to his father, “We’re going to go see someone?” I thought to myself, I hope that kid had some warning that he’s going to get a shot.

Several minutes later the man and boy emerged. The boy stepped into the room, stretched out his arms and exuberantly announced to the waiting masses, “I got two shots! Two!” He was smiling from ear to ear. You would have thought he’d just been told he was going to Disney World. 

Everyone in the room stopped what they were doing, looked at the boy and smiled along with him. For a few precious seconds, that room was filled with joy. 

It’s the holiday season. People are stressed. Oh, we know we should be happy and content, focusing on the birth of our Savior, but most are just plain old stressed and worn out. Could you bring joy to someone? To a room full of people? 

Give it a try.

Anita Gardner Farrell

No comments: