Friday, January 01, 2010

Devotional 1-2-10

A Different New Year’s Resolution


Psalm 72: 12 – 13

For He will deliver the needy when he cries, the poor also, and him who has no helper. He will spare the poor and needy, and will save the souls of the needy….

My New Year’s resolution will focus on my selfishness. It is a selfishness that I think many of us share. I think many of us need to confess that we are tired of the poor. We ask ourselves, “Why don’t they just get a job?”, “Why do they spend what little money they have on junk?”, or “Why are they satisfied living like they do?” These are wonderful questions from those of us who ask them from our position of privilege.

Many who read these words will be offended by my thoughts about selfishness and defend themselves against such a claim. We will read the words of the Psalmist and agreed with the words from the 72nd Psalm. God loves us all! I mean who can disagree with that statement? Yes I agree with the Psalmist but I think we are all tired of the poor.

The debate on a national universal healthcare system is the latest indicator to me. In a country that is awashed with affluence, we who have insurance are debating whether we should give those who are without such a benefit a place at our table of full coverage healthcare. As we worship the God whom we are told “will deliver the needy when he cries…”. While we claim to be God’s agents in this world, we want to deny the same access to the healthcare that we enjoy to those who God reaches out to because those without are “him who has no helper”.

So this year I am not pledging to lose 10 lbs as I have for the last 20 years. I am praying to lose my selfishness. I am praying because I know that if the poor get the same healthcare as me, I am going to have to pay for it. It is a lot easier to be generous when it does not cost me anything.

Prayer: Gracious God, I pray this day and everyday in 2010 that I will be freed from the bondage of affluence and the chains of selfishness.

Rev. David Johnson
Carolinas Medical Center
Charlotte, NC

No comments: