Friday, January 02, 2009

Devotional 1-3-09

Lectionary Reading for January 3-Psalms 145:1-13

The reading for today in Psalms is a Psalm of praise and shows us how great the love of our forefathers was for their God and Savior.

I have five grandsons and often ponder on what I can do for them. What gifts can I give? As the boys grow I feel that there are only two lasting gifts I can give. I can pray for them, that their needs be met, that they may grow in Christ, and that they might do that which God intended.

The other gift that I can and do give is to tell them as often as I see them that they are loved. So I have made it a habit each time I see them to tell them (usually a whisper in their ear) that I love them. When I talk to their parents on the phone the call always ends with “Love you.” It is so important that each one knows that they are loved.

David gives us an idea of what may be the perfect gift. In verse four we are told that we should pass the message of God’s good works on to the next generations. We are to praise the works of God. How will the next generations know of God’s good works unless they hear it, and who is there to tell them? This should be one of our missions in life. Surly our gracious God will impact our children as we give praise of the mighty works of God. I am meditating on how best to pass the message on to the next generations without offending and in a way that they will hear. We hope that the way we live our life will be a witness to God’s good works, but I believe that God may want us to do more so I meditate on the best way I can do his will.

We are reminded in verse five to meditate on Gods good works, and to sing of God’s righteousness. As we sing the hymns of our church do we pay attention to the words? How many of the hymns extol God’s greatness? These hymns are the way that some have passed down the wondrous works of God.

We are reminded that God is a gracious God and full of compassion. What a wonderful gift he gives us. This is the truth that we carry with us in our walk with him. We are blessed as the people of God.

Marilyn Holleron

No comments: