Monday, January 01, 2007

January 1 Devotion

Tradition


Please read Numbers 6:22-27

As this New Day and New Year rang in at midnight, most of us followed a tradition. Silly hats, noisemakers, a toast, a kiss, watching the ball drop.

When I was growing up in L.A, 1 one of my family’s traditions was for all of us to go outside on the porch while I honked a boisterous Dixieland version of “When the Saints go Marching In” on my trombone at the top of my lungs.2 It sounded good…to me.

Some traditions may not be worth keeping.

But whatever your New Years’ Eve or New Years’ Rockin’ Eve tradition, if you were up past midnight this morning, you probably sang or at least listened to Auld Lang Syne.

Tradition!

“Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind?” The lyrics and the pitch trail off after that, based in part on the fact that we don’t really know the song that well. The song reminds us each New Years’ Eve that we should not forget about the past. We are connected to the past, to the history, the people and traditions of auld lang syne. Let’s drink to that!

Tradition!

Today’s scripture reading is the traditional UMYF Benediction. When I was in the UMYF in L.A.3, we would close our meetings by joining hands and repeating the following benediction, also known as the Aaronic Blessing.

May the Lord bless you and keep you,
May the Lord make His face shine upon you,
and be gracious unto you,
May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you,
and give you peace. AMEN


Tradition!

Now that I am a “former youth,” I am thankful to be a part of the leadership team of our church’s UMYF. At the conclusion of our Sunday evening meetings, we circle up, join hands with right arm over left, and repeat the ancient blessing. Upon the “amen” we “twist out” while we remain holding hands. This reminds us that as we leave, we remain connected.

Tradition!

It is a great benediction. A blessing of God’s favor and peace, that connects me to my past as a youth, and connects all of us to “auld acquaintances,” Moses and Aaron.

Tradition! Happy New Year!

Prayer: May the Lord bless you and keep you; may the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you; may the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace. Oh Lord, I want to be in that number, when the Saints go Marching in. Amen.

Footnotes:

  1. The “Logan area” of West Virginia is frequently called “L.A.” by me and a handful of others.
  2. The truth is, my family only went out on the porch with me once. From then on, it was my solo tradition.
  3. See Footnote 1, above.
Jeff Taylor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a good devotion for new year's Day! Maybe you should play your trombone with the Fiddler on the Roof--Tradition!